SALT IN MENORCA

The salt-making tradition of the island of Menorca dates back to the 14th century. In 1303, Dalmau Sagarriga, royal lieutenant of the Kingdom of Mallorca, declared that the collection of salt for personal use would be free on the island of Menorca.

The ancient societies of the island of Menorca collected salt deposited in natural containers dug into the rocks of the coast, the cocos. The sea water filled them with the action of the waves. Then, in the dry season, the water evaporated and the salt remained.

In the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, the English proposed establishing a naval base on the island, which would give them strategic control over the western Mediterranean. Concessions for salt production projects then arose. All experiments were concentrated in the northern coastal areas of the island.

There were four salt flats, all in the north of the island: La Concepción, formerly called Salines Noves, in Fornells. The Tirant Vell salt flats, since then called Ses Salines Velles, also in Fornells. The Addaia salt flats. The Mongofra salt flats, located at the bottom of the port of Addaia.

Industrial salt production continued into the 20th century. Competition with imported salt from large Spanish and foreign production areas forced the Menorcan salt industry to decline.

Of the four salt mines that existed at that time, La Concepción is the only one that is still in operation.